News and Events Archive
Call for Papers: Symposium on the History of Midwest Science and Technology(2018-10-18)
Call for Papers - Symposium on the History of Midwest Science and Technology
March 29-31, 2019, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
Deadline: November 15, 2018
Iowa State University’s Department of History and Consortium for the History of Technology and Science invite proposals for a March 29-31, 2019 symposium on the History of Midwest Science and Technology. We define both “science” and “technology” broadly, to encompass topics including design, innovation, construction, the environment, agriculture, and more.
This meeting builds on the recent surge of interest in the Midwest’s social, economic, cultural, and intellectual history. The symposium will connect the history of science and technology to this wider Midwest history, while bringing Midwestern history into conversations about American science and technology often dominated by coastal case-studies.
Organizers welcome paper proposals that engage with one, or more, of the directions below or related themes:
• Historical case-studies of specific Midwest-centered science programs or discoveries;
• Historical case-studies of specific Midwest-centered technological developments, inventions, innovations, engineering programs, or technical issues;
• The history of Midwest science and technology linked to art, architecture, design, and construction history;
• The history of Midwest science and technology linked to environmental and agricultural history;
• The history of Midwest science and technology linked to business and labor history;
• The history of Midwest science and technology linked to urban and rural history;
• The history of Midwest science and technology linked to women’s/gender history, ethnic, and minority history;
• The history of Midwest science and technology linked to geography and sociology.
Participants will be asked to pre-circulate their papers before the symposium to facilitate discussion. Graduate students are welcome to apply. Some funding is available to paper presenters to help offset the costs of lodging and travel to the symposium, which will be held at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. Organizers aim to follow the symposium by pursuing opportunities for publishing the polished research papers as an edited volume, in academic journals, or other avenues for dissemination.
To propose a contribution, please send an abstract (no longer than 400 words) and a CV to Amy Bix at email@example.com by the deadline of November 15, 2018. Applicants can expect to hear back from the conference committee by December 1, 2018. Participants will need to prepare papers for pre-circulation by March 1, 2019. If you have any questions, please email Amy Bix at firstname.lastname@example.org